I am not a blogger or writer but here goes: 37 Random thoughts from 37 years of Boston Marathon
1)Ran my first in 1978 as a senior at Merrimack College. I qualified before the hoop season, played the entire season and then ran it in the spring.
2) I watched my first in 1977 bc Dave McGillivrey (college XC teammate) was running. I said that I would never watch it again
3)The old finish line in front of the Prudential Center funneled you into a parking garage where you got a bowl of beef stew and your bags were in a chicken wire "area"
4)I finished right behind Rosie Ruiz in 1980 (google he if you were born after) She was wearing a MCI softball shirt and gym shorts hmmm
5)The qualifying time started out at 3 hours and later dropped to 2:50 for years. It has been relaxed in later years.
6)In 1982, I paced Julie Isphording for about 17 miles. She ended up 7th women but got blisters and fell back, She made the 1984 olympic team.
7)In 1984, we had a monsoon rain. I ran the first 6 miles with a 30 gallon trash bag . I got 5 gallons to the mile.
8)I was getting a coffee in the hotel lobby that same year and a man was smoking a cigarette, A runner asked hmi to put it out, He apologized and did put it out. That man was Sparky ANderson and he managed the Tigers to the World Series title
9)I still make the sign of the cross after every mile (Catholic)
10)In 1986, the restraining rope was not "pulled" before the runners took off. I passed Rob Decastella who wa on the ground saying some bad words. He won the race.
11)There was little crowd control until 1986. The crowd would open and retract like an accordion as you went by, especially if you were in the top 500
12) In 1987, someone handed me a cup of water at mile 25. I drank it. It was vodka
13)The Red Sox have a winning record in my 37 years with one rain out (1984)
14)I ran in a pair of Nike nylon cortez my first year. These later became famous in the Forrest Gump movie,
15)I wore an Air Florida shirt in 1982 as part of a promotion. If you were one of the first 50 people wearing one that finished , you won a trip anywhere in the United States. I won one. They folded 6 months later
16) I was sick in 2003 and walked the entire race in 5:19. I was ssicker after
17)Many celebrities have run over the years. I have met one ( Jag)
18) My average time for 37 years is 3:23. I am running slower now so I can make my average time. Makes sense eh?
19) Dave McGillivrey was and still is a huge inspiration. College teammate and now race director. He has run 41 in a row
20) My daughet Melanie ( age 19) has gone to the last two with me. Her first was the bomb year. She is going back this year too smile emoticon
21)I have worn a shirt the last 5 years that says "I love Wellsley College" I am treated like a rock star there (google the college if you have no idea)
22) The last two years I have changed my shirt to "I love Boston College" at mile 20 . BC is at mile 21.7
23)In 1991 I tripped on a random kick ball at mile 17. I split my elbow open and had to get stitches when I finished.
24)I have 969.4 Boston MArathon miles
25) Out of 37 years, I was a business owner for 16 and a teacher for 21. The schools I have taught at have been very gracious
26)The race used to start at Noon and changed to 10 AM in 2007.
27) 2007, wind rain, snow , sleet, I saw a port o john blow over on heartbreak hill
28) I guy dressed as the Old North Church passed me in 1979 going under 6 minutes a mile
29)Women have emerged tremendously in the last 37 years which I think is awesome!!!
30)Results in 1978 were sent to you on a postcard about a week later. We are spoiled with instant gratification now.
31)There was no chip timing for many years and you were allowed a "time allowance" based on your number seeding.
32)I used yo run through Wellsley College looking at my watch. Not any more!!!
33)I have worn Nike shoes 32 out of 37 years. I wore Converse the other 5 bc I ran for them
34)I have run 12 sub 3 hour Bostons. The rest have been over 3. I have run 1 over 5 and 4 ovr 4 hours
35) I think the hardest hill is mile 16 going over the highway.
36)I hope that the streak keeps going but that is in God's hands
37)The marathon is special to me bc I can share it with my daughter. I can also give the glory to the Good Lord. I hope that you enjoyed. Let me know if there are any questions or favorite stories
A random collection from the world of RunJunkEes